Thursday, July 27, 2006

Pregnancy Update + Classic Novels

For My friend, I'll give a brief update. Unfortunatly there's not much to update. She's now wrapping up week 14, 2 weeks now into the 2nd Trimester. She's still tired and still nauseous, we haven't hit that Mystical day where suddenly you feel terrific.
However, she is more up and around than before, at least by my countenence.

She's not showing, or at least very very slightly. She's gained one pound since the pregnancy, so the kid's still a lightweight.


Now onto something that disturbed and upset me. I tend to listen to Audio CD's to and fro work, because i got bored with NPR and music radio. Well, I went to the library and saw Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. SCORE! I thought. A classic horror novel. And it's unabridged. JOY!

Well, I hate to say I was dissapointed, but dear Lord, it's so wordy and slow.... Pages and pages of descriptions that moves the plot NOWHERE! Then BOOM we have the monster.. great... then pages about his depression on what he did... then we get to the point where the creature finds Frankenstein to talk about his life thus far.... He got much pleasure and countenence... and he was BORING! I'm sorry, i really am... but classic novels have way to much exposition. Some of it is necessary, but I felt it was way to much. I stopped at Disc 5, I just couldn't do it. I feel like I failed or something, as I should appreciate these novels. Now I'm afraid to try Dracula, the Invisible Man, etc.

It should have a warning label on it: "Warning: if you cannot stand the Scarlet Letter or the Great Gatsby, then this novel may not be for you."

4 Comments:

At Friday, July 28, 2006 11:39:00 AM, Blogger Kathleen said...

I couldn't stand the Scarlet Letter or the Great Gatsby (though in that case, I enjoyed reading it, I just hated the characters! I did not find Daisy at all romantic and I think that people who think it's a romantic story are just insane.) I have read Dracula and it's sorta slow, but it's more like a diary than anything else and the Invisible Man was really good;

 
At Friday, July 28, 2006 2:38:00 PM, Blogger Bishniak said...

I'll give it that it may be a better read than a listen... but it's not good to be zoning while driving, and that audiobook was really doing it's magic

 
At Monday, July 31, 2006 5:06:00 PM, Blogger Kathleen said...

Yeah, I can understand that..you don't really want to be all mellowed out with Dracula while driving. Hehehe.

 
At Thursday, August 17, 2006 3:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My comment it in regard to the "Mystical Day," sadly mine never really came. It was a slow transition. First the nausea slowed then mostly went away as long as I ate VERY regularly. Then the sleepiness slowly wasn't a 24 hour thing but I was always tired throughout, and just about the time I felt more like me BAM I was getting way huge and uncomfortable. So, yep yep here's hoping Sara gets that Mystical day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home