Wednesday, November 12, 2008

"He's not MY President"

This is a political rant of sorts, if you're easily offended by opposing viewpoints, don't read.

Obama won, If memory serves, 52% of the popular vote, and nearly 2:1 of the electoral College, he will be the Next President of the United States of America.


So why is it I'm already seeing & hearing folks proclaim him to be someone else's President?

I heard this from democrats about Bush for 8 years. My first introduction to this flawed piece of logic was from a stalwart Conservative in college who claimed proudly that William Jefferson Clinton was NOT his president.

I asked him if he was an American Citizen, which of course he said yes. I asked if Clinton was President of the USA, he said "not MY president" thus avoiding the logic: A=B, B=C, Therefore A=C.

This leads me to many questions and many gripes. How long has this mentality been around? If the President is not of your political affiliation, you are allowed to denounce him, to say proudly that he doesn't run your country?

When did running for office cease being who could do the job better but "we have to retake the Senate/House/White House from the others? Has reality TV or our addiction to competitive sports clouded our view on how to vote? Is this the evils of a two party system Our first President warned us of?

Then it devolves from there. Democrats will say get over it while the Republicans will refuse. this DESPITE the fact that for the past 8 years the Democrats were whining and complaning while the Republicans said get over it. Where does it end? When does the finger pointing and "But they started it!" or "It's the (other party)'s fault!" quit and they finally say "We're here to govern, not to support our party."

Am I just fooling myself? is it a pipe dream to wish those we elected to govern do that without worrying about their next election or towing the party line?

This is why I liked McCain. The term Maverick suited him well in the Senate. He did what he thought was best for his country, regardless if his Policital party disagreed. That's what a governor should do.

I'm probably hitting all over the map of my complaints of our current system, but to sum up, for the past 8 years I was not happy with who ran the white house. I've disagreed with many of his policies. That being said, he was MY president for those 8 years. Obama will be MY president on January 21st. I'm an American. It seems silly to think otherwise.

1 Comments:

At Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:44:00 PM, Blogger KU Mommy said...

Excellent post, Brad!!! I may not have ever been the biggest Obama supporter, but he IS my president come January, and if I denounce him as our country's leader then how I am part of our democracy? Makes no sense to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home